Rail Users’ Network is a new concept in the representation of rail passengers. It is based on the successful British Passenger Focus model, created by act of Parliament, which has been serving passengers throughout the United Kingdom since 1948. RUN is different, however, in that it represents many different types of rail passengers, including long distance, commuter, and transit riders. It is not sanctioned by an act of Congress – but some of our representative groups are legislatively mandated by their respective states and municipalities, giving riders a seat “at the table,” and bringing the needs of rail users to the attention of those in charge.
RUN is a 501 (c )(3) tax exempt organization which undertakes the following activities on behalf of rail passengers and transit rail users:
- Encourages the development and use of customer-friendly rail passenger services that are affordable, efficient, and reliable.
- Encourages expansion of existing service, as well as new starts to promote greater mobility and improve the economic vitality of regions.
- Actively seeks the views of rail passengers, including those with special needs, and those potential passengers not yet served by rail.
- Represents rail and rail transit passengers’ interests to the industry and to those who regulate or influence it.
- Actively encourages rail and rail transit operators to become more accountable to their customers by including them in all levels of evaluation, decision-making, and planning.
- Provides forums to exchange “best practice” for existing advocacy groups, and assists start-up groups in becoming legislatively mandated.
- Encourages connectivity between all modes.
RUN members enjoy award-winning newsletters, regional and international conferences, annual meetings and regional rail forums to share information, while working to improve and expand rail passenger service. We also offer a monthly email feature called Short RUNS, which is designed to keep members up-to-date on advocacy and some of the major issues affecting rail/transit riders. Join RUN and make your voice heard! Don’t get left behind at the station!
You can donate to the Rail Users’ Network via the PayPal button linked below.